Saturday 7 June 2008

Predicting the Future!

We've all heard predictions about the future. Sure, sometimes "experts" are right on target, but check out what they got wrong! Thanks, and enjoy! :-)

Predicting the Future ...

"Man will never reach the moon regardless of all future scientific advances." -- Dr. Lee DeForest, Inventor of TV

"The bomb will never go off. I speak as an expert in explosive." -- Admiral William Leahy, U.S. Atomic Bomb Project

"There is no likehood man can ever tap the power of the atom." -- Robert Millikan, Nobel Prize in Physics, 1923

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." -- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." -- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"But what ... is it good for?" -- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -- Bill Gates, 1981

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." -- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"A cookie store is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say America likes crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make." -- Response to Debbi Fields' idea of starting Mrs. Fields' Cookies.

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out." -- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." -- Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

"If I had thought about it, I wouldn't have done the experiment. The literature was full of examples that said you can't do this." -- Spencer Silver on the work that led to the unique adhesives for 3-M "Post-It" Notepads.

"Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy." -- Drillers who Edwin L. Drake tried to enlist to his project to drill for oil in 1859.

"Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau." -- Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University, 1929.

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value." -- Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." -- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.

"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction." -- Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872

"The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon." -- Sir John Eric Ericksen, British surgeon, appointed Surgeon-Extraordinary to Queen Victoria 1873.

and last but not least...

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

7 comments:

******** said...

Hi, :P
I like your blog, it very funny and (more important) it very easy understand.
tanks, I want to preactice my english (I don't know write!)

bye

MariaIsabel

******** said...

Hi, :P
I like your blog, it's very funny and (more important) very easy understand.
tanks, I want to preactice my english (I don't know write!)

bye

MariaIsabel

Unknown said...

Hi Marisa, I`m Manuel, at this moment I am practising the programming, though serious better to say that I am "lost in programeision".

Sorry, my english level is very low. ¿1/10?

Marisa, click the link to look this virtual card!!

Marisa García said...

Hi María Isabel, thanks a lot for your comment. I am really happy that you like my blog and find it helpful to improve your English. I hope to see you around frequently.

Bye!!!
Marisa.

Hello Manuel!!! It is really nice to receive your comments. What about the Teaching Programme? Have you practised it? I haven't practised mine, I hope that there is some time between the first and the second exam...
And by the way, your English is not that bad, today I give you a 6!

Marisa García said...

Oh, I forgot to say it, thanks for the virtual card!!!

Angela y Zayra said...

ola marisa somos angela y ely
komo estas nosotras estamos bien y por favor dile a la nueva maestra de ingles komo vas a acer la media de los examenes
un besazo de parte de eli y angela

Marisa García said...

Hello girls, don't worry about the marks, Virginia won't do it, I will do it myself. She will give me your exam results and I will see your different marks, as usual. Don't worry about that.
Kisses,
Marisa.