Tuesday 24 November 2009

25th November: International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women


On the occasion of the “International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women”, our school has organized a series of activities intended to make students aware of the necessity of coping with this problem from an early age. Our intention is to make them react against any kind of violence.

I have just received by mail a link to an interesting teaching unit called "When love kills...". It has been made by Anna Aznar, a teacher from Lleida, in the north of Spain.

If you click on this link, you can do the unit step by step. It is worthwhile.


I Got Flowers Today

I got flowers today.
It wasn't my birthday or any other special day.
We had our first argument last night,
And he said a lot of cruel things that really hurt me.
I know he is sorry and didn't mean the things he said.
Because he sent me flowers today.
I got flowers today.
It wasn't our anniversary any other special day.
Last night, he threw me into a wall and started to choke me.
It seemed like a nightmare.
I couldn't believe it was real.
I woke up this morning sore and bruised all over.
I know he must be sorry.
Because he sent me flowers today.

I got flowers today,
and it wasn't Mother's Day or any other special day.
Last night, he beat me up again.
And it was much worse than all the other times.
If I leave him, what will I do?
How will I take care of my kids?
What about money?
I'm afraid of him and scared to leave.
But I know he must be sorry.
Because he sent me flowers today.

I got flowers today.
Today was a very special day.
It was the day of my funeral.
Last night, he finally killed me.
He beat me to death.
If only I had gathered enough courage and strength to leave him,
I would not have gotten flowers...today.

By Paulette Kelly
.
Don't wait until it is too late. This poem reflects many women's attitude when they are being abused. Don't let anybody hurt you. Ask for help.
.

2 comments:

Galileus said...

The poem is powerful and stunning. Thanks for sharing.

I will check the link to "When love kills...".

Greetings from Lima, Peru!

Galileus.

Marisa García said...

Hi, Galileus, thanks for your comment and Merry Christmas!!!
Greetings from Spain,
Marisa.