Every year since 1901 the Nobel Prize has been awarded for achievements in physics, chemistry, physiology or medicine, literature and for peace.
The Nobel Prize is an international award administered by the Nobel Foundation in Stockholm, Sweden. In 1968, Sveriges Riksbank established The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, founder of the Nobel Prize.
Each prize consists of a medal, personal diploma, and a cash award. These prizes are commonly regarded as the most prestigious award one can receive in any of these fields.
This year, Nobel Laureates in each of the fields are:
- Charles K. Kao "for groundbreaking achievements concerning the transmission of light in fibers for optical communication".
- Willard S. Boyle and George E. Smith "for the invention of an imaging semiconductor circuit – the CCD sensor".
- Venkatraman Ramakrishnan, Thomas A. Steitz and Ada E. Yonath "for studies of the structure and function of the ribosome".
Physiology or Medicine:
- Elizabeth H. Blackburn, Carol W. Greider and Jack W. Szostak "for the discovery of how chromosomes are protected by telomeres and the enzyme telomerase".
- Herta Müller "who, with the concentration of poetry and the frankness of prose, depicts the landscape of the dispossessed".
- Barack Obama "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples".
Prize in Economics:
- Elinor Ostrom "for her analysis of economic governance, especially the commons" and Oliver E. Williamson "for his analysis of economic governance, especially the boundaries of the firm".
The website "Nobelprize.org" offers a wide variety of educational games based on Nobel Prize-awarded achievements. These games will teach and inspire you while you are having fun! If you want to play, click on this link. .
First of all, welcome to my blog. Here you have the opportunity to learn, practise and improve your English in a different way. You will find interesting and useful links for learning English: dictionaries, grammar exercises, vocabulary tasks, texts, videos, songs... You will also be able to participate, give opinions and share experiences. But please, do it in English! I hope you enjoy and get the most of this blog!